A pregnancy loss is an extremely challenging and emotional experience. We hope this section will outline what your rights are as a resident and provide options for support.
Caution: This section includes information on pregnancy loss/termination that may evoke or trigger certain responses and reactions. Do not hesitate to seek support and help from your Program Director/Coordinator and support team as needed. This page includes some resources and support options below. Additional resources can be found on the "Wellness Resources" page on this website.
1. Pregnancy loss/termination < 20 weeks: considered sick leave
2. Pregnancy loss/termination > 20wks:
3. Partner of someone who experiences pregnancy loss/termination:
1. The Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP - http://efap.ca/) and the Physicians Health Program (PHP - https://www.physicianhealth.com/) both offer services to support residents dealing with grief and loss. Both offer confidential 24-hour help lines and referrals.
2. BC Women's Hospital & Health Centre - Pregnancy Loss Resources
3. Fraser Health - Community Resources and Support Groups
4. Fraser Health - You're Not Alone Booklet
5. HealthLink BC - Miscarriage
6. Crisis Centre - Where residents can call if they have suicidal ideations or self-harm thoughts and need help. Distress Line Numbers Greater Vancouver : 604-872-3311, Toll Free: 1-866-661-3311, TTY: 1866-872-01131-800-SUICIDE (784-2433) https://crisiscentre.bc.ca/